McGill Library holds a significant collection of maps, atlases, air photos, satellite imagery, and data covering the greater Montreal region, the province of Quebec, Canada, and the rest of the world.
The links below provide information about the location of each collection as well as details about how materials can be accessed or requested.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.Geospatial Data Request form and sign a Data License Agreement before using the files.
GIS software is required to view or use geospatial data. A list of free data-viewers is provided below. McGill Library does not endorse or provide support for any of these viewers
- ArcGIS Explorer is a lightweight GIS data viewer developed by ESRI. This is a complete data explorer that allows users to display and query a wide selection of data sources.
- QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System. It runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, Windows and Android and supports numerous vector, raster, and database formats and functionalities.
- Google Earth Pro provided by Google.
- Bentley View is an AutoCAD file viewing application that allows users to open, view, and print DGN, DWG, and DXF file formats.
- TatukGIS Viewer allows users to view most GIS/AutoCAD and raster image file types and most ArcView, ArcExplorer, and MapInfo projects.
McGill Library has an extensive map collection, with primary emphasis on Montreal, the province of Quebec, Canada, and the United States. The collection also includes international atlases, topographic maps and thematic maps for many of the world's countries.
Rare Books and Special
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.holds most historical maps and atlases, dating from 1556 to 1940. Significant maps in the collection include plates from the atlases of Willem Blaeu, Gerard Mercator, and Abraham Ortelius.
Thematic maps and atlases
- World, Canada, and Provinces
- Montreal -- Print Maps, McGill Collection
- Montreal -- Maps Online (various collections)
- World Aeronautical Charts (WAC)
- Operational Navigation Charts (ONC)
- Jet Navigation Charts (JNC)
- Joint Operations Graphic Charts (JOG)
McGill Library has a collection of nearly 50,000 airphotos. Aerial photo coverage is primarily for Montreal, Quebec and Canada. The Centre's collection also includes digital orthophotos, DEMs and satellite imagery covering various regions of Canada and the world.